Within the EU / EEA and in Switzerland, unemployment insurance is included in the social insurance system. This means that you are automatically covered as soon as you start working and paying taxes. As soon as you start working, you can cancel your membership in Akademikernas a-kassa. 

In the vast majority of countries within the EU / EEA (and in Switzerland) unemployment insurance is included in the general social security system. You are therefore covered by this as soon as you start working and paying taxes.

It is only in Sweden, Denmark and Finland that unemployment insurance is fully or partially connected to membership in a sn a-kassa. Only in these countries does one therefore need to apply to become a member or cancel membership when changing countries of employment.

More about Finland and Denmark

Exception: continue to be a member of the a-kassa

In these cases, you must continue to be a member of Akademikernas a-kassa even if you have moved within the EU/EEA/Switzerland.

  • Certain public employment (for example Swedish university or Swedish embassy).
  • If you are seconded by a Swedish employer (with A1 decision).
  • If you work both in Sweden and in another EU / EEA country.

Certificate A1 from Försäkringskassan

If you work in two countries, you must apply for certificate A1 from Försäkringskassan (the Swedish Social Insurance Agency). Then you get a decision about which country's insurance you are covered by. We need the certificate both with regard to membership and also in the case of compensation matters. You can either upload the certificate in Mina sidor or send it by post.

Certificate A1

Insurance periods are credited

Membership periods in Sweden and foreign insurance periods can be combined so that the membership condition is met.

To receive benefits based on income, one must:

  • meet the work condition according to Swedish insurance,
  • have been insured for at least 12 consecutive months in the previous country of employment and/or Sweden before unemployment.

Here's how to get consecutive periods

To avoid a gap between the insurance periods when you start or end work in another member state, do the following:

  • continue to be a member of Akademikernas a-kassa until you know that you are covered by the social insurance of the country of employment.
  • apply for a new membership immediately if work abroad ceases. Do not wait until you have actually returned to Sweden.

No insurance for entrepreneurs

Most countries outside Sweden do not have unemployment insurance for the self-employed. Find out what it's like in the country you'll be working in.