In order to receive benefits if you are a citizen of a country outside the EU / EEA or Switzerland, you must have a general work permit and residence permit. You must also have worked in Sweden.

Work permit and residence permit a requirement

If you do not have a valid work permit and residence permit, the employment agency can refuse to register you, which means that you are not entitled to unemployment compensation even if you are a member in the a-kassa. For more information about your work permit, please contact the Swedish Migration Agency.

To be entitled to benefits, you must also have worked for at least 6 months, 60 hours a month in the past year.

Worked in Sweden

You must have worked at least one hour in Sweden to be able to become a member.

Apply for membership now

Kalle has lived and worked in Argentina

Kalle moved from Sweden to Argentina where he has lived and worked for the past 10 years. When he moves back to Sweden, he can become a member of Akademikernas a-kassa, because he previously worked in Sweden. He also needs to have worked for 6 months, 60 hours per month to be entitled to benefits.

Kevin has moved to Sweden from Belgium

Kevin has met a Swedish partner and moved to Sweden. He worked in Belgium until the move. He became a member of Akademikernas a-kassa as soon as he arrived in Sweden and got a job.