Join us

Everyone who has a bachelor's degree (150 university credits) or is studying right now aiming for one is considered an university graduate. Both entrepreneurs and employees can join.

  • Everyone who works or has worked in Sweden or EU/EES/Switzerland may join an a-kassa.
  • If you have studied (or studying right now) at an university, we are the a-kassa for you. Foreign university education counts too!
  • You do need to have a general work permit to be eligable for membership.

Membership application - click here

All employed

University graduates are working in all different professions and industries. Everyone, regardless of their form of employment, may join. It is just as important - maybe even more important - that you are a member of an a-kassa when you have a temporary employment.

All entrepreneurs and self-employees

It's actually almost 50 years since self-employees also were entitled to join an a-kassa. Many university graduates choose to go their own way and start a business. Should the company not be profitable, you can get the same remuneration as employees if you loose your job. A good thing when starting a business and it does not go as you imagined is that the remuneration can be based on the income of the job you had before. This applies if you become unemployed within 24 months of termination of employment.

All working university students

If you are working and studying aiming for a bachelor's degree (150 Swedish university credits) you can join us. If you work extra during your studies, we recommend that you join us one year before the studies end. In order to be able to receive compensation based on the salary, you must have been a member for 12 months.

Membership application without BankID - click here

Do you have a foreign university education?

If your foreign university education corresponds to at least a Swedish bachelor's degree, you can of course join us. Enter the name of your education in the membership application and we can check if it meets our requirements.

Already member in an a-kassa?

If you meet our academic requirements you can easily change to us. We will arrange the practicalities.

Membership application - click here

Don't have BankID, personnummer or samordningsnummer?

Please fill in and email this application (pdf) to While email is our preferred option, you can also print and post your application to: Akademikernas a-kassa, FE 55, 930 88 Arjeplog

Application form (pdf)

Inlägg från vårt forum

In English

Can I apply for a-kassa when start working?


Can I get a-kassa and study at the same time?

Pay membership fee some months in advance

Longer qualification time than 12 months