Apply for benefits after work within the EU/EEA/Switzerland

When applying for unemployment benefits after work abroad, your right to compensation depends on where you have worked and under what circumstances. Only work within the EU/EEA/Switzerland can be counted.


  • Register at the arbetsförmedlingen the first day of unemployment, or as soon as you can after returning to Sweden. You are entitled to compensation at the earliest from the date of registration.
  • Apply for membership in Akademikernas a-kassa. Apply as soon as you have become unemployed even if you do not want to apply for compensation immediately. Submit your application before returning to Sweden if you have lived abroad.
  • Apply for a PDU1 certificate from your previous country of work and we can then review your right to aggregate the periods.

Contact us

Every situation is unique. Contact us and we will help you. Call 08-412 33 00 weekdays 9-16 or send an e-mail to