After employment in EU/EEA/Switzerland

How we determine your compensation depends on whether you have been a Swedish resident during your employment and if you are unemployed full- or part- time. If you are unemployed part-time you should apply for benefits in the country of your employment.

Employed in Sweden

If you have recently worked in Sweden, we can add employment and insurance periods in EU/EEA/Switzerland to the employment in Sweden for you to meet the conditions for unemployment benefits. There is no requirement for the employment in Sweden to have a certain duration or character. One day's work for any employer is sufficient. You must be able to validate the work with an employer's certificate. This option may apply both to you whom are new in Sweden and to you whom return after work in the EU/EEA/Switzerland.

Cross border workers

“A cross border worker” is a term defined in the EU Regulation as a person who:

  • lives within the EU/EEA/Switzerland but works in another country within the union.
  • returns to his or her country of residence every day or at least once a week

Cross border workers are subject to the legislation of the country where they work as long as they are employed but if they become unemployed, they will be transferred to their country of Residence.

Living in Sweden – employed abroad

  • Unemployed full-time If you live in Sweden and become unemployed after you have been working in another EU/EEA-state, you must apply for unemployment benefits in Sweden.
  • Unemployed part-time If you live in Sweden and become unemployed part-time after working abroad , you shall apply for compensation in the country of employment because you are still covered by this country's legislation.
    If you become full-time unemployed as a cross border worker, you shall apply for benefit in Sweden. Apply for membership in Akademikernas a-kassa immediately so you won’t lose your right to income-related compensation.